Friday, November 04, 2005

Mailing It In

Sometimes the older one gets, the better some things seemed when you were a kid.

Halloween might be an example of this. When I was a kid, it seemed like we took the whole dressing up thing pretty seriously. And there were a lot more kids out by themselves. I remember it as a time when everybody had a lot of fun.

During Halloween in The Sack, it seemed like some kids weren't even trying.

***
The very first "trick or treater" appeared in The Sack at about four-thirty in the afternoon.

Many people weren't even home from work. Some folks were just getting out of their cars or walking up their driveways. Quite likely, some people were lying on their couches watching Oprah or some other televised abomination.

She was a young girl who looked about six years-old. She was dressed in a very inexpensive, store-bought costume. It was made of cardboard and tissue paper. She was supposed to be a princess.

Her mother marched ahead of her as they approached each house. The young girl stumbled behind looking mortified and bored all at the same time.

The seeds for a future therapy case had just been planted.

***
Just before five o'clock, young Tremayne and his older brother, Jimbo arrived at the Wonders' door.

They were dressed in their normal civilian clothing. No costumes, no makeup. No bags to hold the candy.

In unison, they said, "Trick or treat."

***
I was too confused to say anything other than, "What are you doing?"

Tremayne was the one to answer. "Trick or treatin'."

I tried very hard to think of something else to say. But I was stumped.

I gave each boy a bag of potato chips. Politely, both mouthed their appreciation and started down the porch stairs. I closed the door and went back into the front room. When I looked out the window, I saw them sitting on the porch stairs. They were devouring the bags of chips.

I continued to watch them from the window. Because I'm getting older, I was most curious about what they would do with their empty potato chip bags.

***
Like good Sack kids should, the boys put their empty bags in our garbage bin.

They walked next door to Florence's house and were rewarded with some small chocolate bars. Then they sat down on her porch steps and consumed the chocolate.

I watched them do the same thing at the next three houses. Then our doorbell rang again.

***
A girl of about twelve was at the door. She was dressed as a princess, as well. I could tell because she was wearing a fake tiara.

But that was the extent of her princess outfit. Like Tremayne and Jimbo, she was wearing her regular civilian duds. Princess, indeed.

She was just mailing it in.

This happened more than a few times during the night. About half of the kids didn't seem to break a sweat thinking about their costumes. It was hard to tell if any of them were having any fun. Many appeared subdued and even ungrateful.

***
We still have some bags of potato chips left and some chocolate bars. That's the good news.

***

3 comments:

Clint said...

I never got potato chips while trick-or-treating.

Is that a Canadian thing, or a crazy old Mr. Wonders thing?

Guy Wonders said...

Yes, I believe it's a Canadian thing. Potato chips grow on trees here and are plentiful. In the autumn, they fall to the ground and need to be raked.

(Actually, it's a Mrs. Wonders thing. She looked after inventory this year.) Cheers!

Clint said...

You learn something new every day. I guess I wasn't paying attention in school when we talked about the Canadian Potato Chip harvests.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails