Sunday, September 30, 2007

Pox and Sox

I've cast a pox on the powerful forces that have kept me from the blogging machine lately.

Your agent, of course, isn't a man who throws a pox around lightly. My threshold for such a thing is very high. But Sack shenanigans are piling up around me and I haven't had time to put pen to paper. This is a very frustrating state of affairs that has affected me in more ways than I could imagine.

Yesterday, for example, I made a mad dash to the local shopping emporium. I've been travelling a fair bit recently and needed a number of sundry items. In particular, I needed some black socks.

Sock shopping, of course, is usually a straight-forward business. You pick out the colour and then select the ones that fall somewhere between cheap-ass and overpriced. At least, that's how I usually do it. And that's exactly what I did yesterday.

This afternoon, however, I started packing for another quick trip. The three pairs of black socks lay on the bed beside my suitcase. I removed the various tags and stickers from the first two pairs and placed them in my bag. I started to do the same with the third pair when I noticed the following words on the packaging:

Diabetic Socks - Non-binding leg and cuff allows for free circulation.

Your agent, it seems, is now the proud owner of three pairs of black diabetic socks. Until now, I hadn't heard of such a thing. Mrs. Wonders has assured me that the socks don't actually have diabetes, so there's no risk that I'll acquire the disease simply by wearing them. At the same time, I'm going to feel a slight pang of guilt when I wear them. In my mind, wearing diabetic socks when you don't have diabetes is akin to parking in a spot reserved for people with disabilities.

The point of all this is quite simple. Writing about the latest Sack shenanigans keeps the mind sharp. And my mind is quickly turning to mush. This is why I've cast a pox on the forces that have kept me from the blogging machine. I have no idea how long it takes for the pox to take effect, but I hope it's soon.

Meanwhile, I'll be walking about in a daze in my black diabetic socks. . . .

***

4 comments:

Jessica said...

My mom wears those when she's not in heels for work. I think it's her way of overcompensating. They are supposedly good for your circulation, though a bit tighter than the average sock.

Balloon Pirate said...

Excellent use of the word 'sundry.'

I prefer it our the polyslyllabic multifarious.

yeharr

Guy Wonders said...

Jessica: After several days of wearing them (different pairs, of course), I'm liking those diabetic socks!

BP: "Multifarious" I wish I'd said that. . . .

Balloon Pirate said...

Someday, you will.

yeharr

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails