Sunday, February 17, 2008

May I Be Excused?

Ouch.  The blogging machine has been laid dormant since the eve of Christmas. Your agent is infected with guilt and self-reproach over this state of affairs.

My conscience, oddly invaded by the sound of Big Doug's voice, says, "Get your arse in gear!"

"Okay," I reply, "on the day after tomorrow, I'll get back on my horse.  Next week, at the latest.  That's a promise, Mr. Conscience. You can take it to the bank."

"Liar," says my conscience.  Now it has Oscar's sarcastic inflection.

"I will!"

"Will not," answers my conscience.

"Will too."

Young Doo's voice has now installed itself in my conscience.

"Will not," says the boy's voice again.  I can almost picture him sticking his tongue out at me.

"Okay," I finally reply, "maybe not then.  But I'll definitely be back in May."

***
For the last few months, I've been involved in a creative project that has made it very difficult to focus on the blogging machine.  While Cul de Sac Blues has been my guilty pleasure for the last few years, this new project has captured both my spare time and my imagination.  It involves writing, video production and, of course, healthy doses of humour.

At the very least, the project will simply result in a great deal of fun. It could also be much more than that.  At best, it could be a "quit your day job" kind of success.

While I like to imagine the best possible outcome of this project, I'm also aware that I have no business expecting such a result.  By any measure, your agent is a veritable novice when it comes to writing and making videos.  Many people devote their lives to such endeavours.  I'm just a dude who lives on a cul-de-sac and whose professional training lies elsewhere.

But opportunity has knocked and I've answered the door.  The project will be off the ground in April.  By May, regardless of the project's outcome, there will be more time for guilty pleasure.  Sack shenanigans have been piling up since December, so there'll be no end of stories to tell.

And, by the way, Little Doug won the Doug of the Year Award for the second year in a row. . . . 

***   

6 comments:

The Jotter said...

I Knew IT!!! Nothing, I mean NOTHING would keep Guy Wonders from keeping up with Cul de Sac Blues unless...

YOU ARE CHEATING ON US!!!

Making other people laugh, living your dream, writing cool stuff for other people. They probably even know your name. As a woman of the cloth I strongly object to your happiness...

Oh. Wait.

Drats.

(Make the dullest most insincere voice you can here. Sort of like Little Doug apologizing): I am so happy for you. Follow your bliss. No, really. I understand.

OK - the truth: Miss you, man. Take the guilt out of it. Just miss you and the Sack. Thanks for the update and good luck!

Balloon Pirate said...

As a former stand-up comedian and current video production dude, I salute you.

Feel free to contact me if you ever want any advice to ignore...

yeharr

Dear Lovey Heart said...

you are missed mister wonders! Good luck in all your comedic endeavors, you will surely succeed!

Will McKinley said...

Welcome back.

If you ever need a collaborator in all things humorous, keep me in mind.

J Isaacs said...

My personal philosophy is this: as long as you are writing in some medium somewhere, Mr Wonders, all absences from the blogosphere can be excused.

Good luck with everything.

Jessica said...

I'll be eagerly awaiting May.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails