Sunday, August 21, 2005

Cul de Sac Boys

Sunday morning finds Mrs. Wonders and I enjoying our coffee and newspapers at the breakfast table. Suddenly, there is a tapping sound on our front door.

***
I open the door expecting to see one of our neighbours. Instead (and I am not making this up), I am surprised to see John Dunsworth (aka Mr. Lahey, from the television show, Trailer Park Boys) standing on our doorstep. He is holding a long metal clamp and a few hand tools.

***
It turns out that John is at the wrong house. Apparently, he promised our neighbour that he would repair one of her antique chairs. He wasn't sure about our neighbour's name, but had met her several weeks ago and said that he would fix her chair.

***
Our neighbour is away for a few weeks and Mrs. Wonders and I are looking after her property. As a Trailer Park Boys fan, I know who John is, so I decide that it is okay to bring him into her house to inspect the chairs. So, 'Mr. Lahey' and I go into the house together and begin shaking chairs to see if there is an unstable one that warrants repair.

***
It is at this moment that I am struck by the bizarre nature of this scenario. One moment, I am having a quiet, relaxing morning in The Sack and then suddenly, I am inspecting antique dining room chairs with a well-known television character. I don't believe that I even have the capacity to make something like this up.

***
John Dunsworth is a very pleasant, likable and down-to-earth man. We are unable to find a chair that needs repair, so we leave the house and walk back to his car. We chat briefly about "The Fire". He hadn't noticed the house as he drove up. He does not think that 'Ricky' or 'Julian' had anything to do with it.

***

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails