Monday, September 05, 2005

Long Weekend Miscellany

At 10:30 p.m. on Sunday, Mrs. Wonders and I return from viewing a movie. For those who are interested, we saw The March of the Penguins. For those still interested, we give it a very high approval rating.

***
It is a cool, but comfortable night. We drive into The Sack and see a gathering upon Oscar's porch.

Oscar sits among several empty cans of drink. Half of The Sack's Doug population is sitting with him. In this instance, I mean Computer Doug and Little Doug.

Both Oscar and Computer Doug have returned from the Rolling Stones concert. Oscar went with a group of childhood friends, while Computer Doug attended with his wife, Marion.

They are embroiled in an excited review of the concert.

***
Oscar and Computer Doug go on about Mick and Keif. They talk about the songs the Stones played and mostly agree about the specific albums the songs originated from. When they begin to match albums with the year of release, Little Doug suddenly erupts in a horrible coughing fit.

Still coughing, he mumbles apologies and heads off to his home for the night.

***
This is not the first time Little Doug has had a coughing fit and then excused himself. It is only tonight that I have recognized a pattern in this behaviour.

This is Little Doug's way of getting out of a discussion that he has no interest in.

I am impressed. It is a subtle strategy and it's effective.

***
For the record, both Oscar and Computer Doug raved about the concert.

Computer Doug has seen the Stones many times and felt it was one of their best shows. Oscar rated the show as an 8.75 on a scale of one to ten. Computer Doug concurred.

I can't believe that I have just written a mini review of the Stones concert in Moncton.

***
Oscar says that I would have liked the show, if I had been there.

I tell him: "If the Stones were playing at the local pub and I just happened to be there that night, then you might be right."

***
While Oscar enjoyed the show, the rest of his weekend away was somewhat of a disappointment.

He had steeled himself for a weekend of "debauchery," far from the demands of daily cul de sac life. Instead, he found that his accommodations were located in a very remote area, far from any nightlife or large gatherings.

Apart from the concert itself, Oscar says the best part of the trip was when he saw a moose.

***
In other Sack news, young Doo approached me this morning with an important question. He asked me why I back my car into the driveway, instead of simply driving straight in.

I wondered why he was so curious about such a thing. He pointed around The Sack and said that I was the only one to do this.

I was impressed by his perceptiveness.

***
His question deserved a very serious response. I told him that I backed in, so that I would have the convenience of simply driving out when I leave.

Thinking that this could be what an educator might call a teachable moment, I also said: "Sometimes we do the hardest things first, so it will be easier for us later."

Wee Doo looked up at me, while shading the sun from his eyes. Then he said, "So, why do you put your car in the driveway backwards?"

***
So, I told him my real reason for backing in. I do this because I am crazy.

Doo was very pleased with this response. He laughed and toddled off down the street.

***
Finally, I must correct some important details about Mulva.

She is Korean, not Chinese. She is here for a few months to learn English at a school near a university.

I know this, because I encountered her at a barbeque in The Sack during the weekend.

***
Because she has only been here a short time, there is only one English word she is proficient with. It is the word 'fine'.

So, I report that Mulva is doing fine. Had she attended the Rolling Stones concert, I am sure she would say that, it too, was fine.

***

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails