Friday, October 28, 2005

Sales Job

For the second time in four days, young Tremayne appears at our door. Once again, he's flogging fund-raiser chocolate bars for his older brother.

***
I bought a chocolate bar from Tremayne several weeks ago (see Random Samplings). I also bought one from him last Monday.

Young Tremayne is only about five years-old. I try to explain that I'm not in the habit of buying two-dollar chocolate bars with such regularity.

My explanation goes sailing over the boy's head. He gives me a gap-toothed grin and asks again if I would like to buy a chocolate bar:

G.W.: "No, I still have the one I bought from you on Monday. Do you remember that?"

Tremayne: "You didn't eat it yet?"

G.W.: "No."

Tremayne: "How come?"

G.W.: "I just haven't been in the mood for it."

Tremayne: "How come?"

G.W.: "I only like to eat chocolate when I feel like it."

Tremayne: "You don't feel like it?"

G.W.: "No, not right now."

Tremayne: "Oh. . . . . are you gonna throw it away?"

G.W.: "No, I'll just keep it in the fridge for some other time."

Tremayne: "Oh. . . . . what if you don't feel like it?"

G.W.: "Then, maybe I'll give it to somebody else."

Tremayne: "Oh. . . . . I could eat it for you, if you want."

G.W.: "Deal. Let me get it for you."

***
I return to the door and give the chocolate bar to Tremayne. He has a plastic shopping bag containing the chocolate bars he's trying to sell. He stuffs this one quickly into his back pocket.

I say good-bye to Tremayne and start to close the door. Suddenly, he says, "You wanna buy a chocolate bar for later?"

***

1 comment:

Clint said...

That's ingenious. They could potentially sell the same box of chocolate over and over... though that would mean they would be stuck with boring cash instead of the sweet prizes those companies hand out.

Great little story.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails